Qualifications: A long long-term commitment to a career in brewing beer, as demonstrated by 2-5 years practical experience in a brewery or formal training in malting and brewing science and technology. A combination of experience and training is preferred.
Who we are: Brewer’s Alley Restaurant and Brewery was opened in the summer of 1996 and has prospered for 20+ years as the original brewpub in Frederick County, Maryland. A number of years ago, we expanded our operations to include a sister brewery off-site where we operate Monocacy Brewing Company. Brewer’s Alley is now home to a 3BBL brewhouse while Monocacy Brewing operates a 20BBL brewhouse. Our brewing team operates in a respectful, deliberate, and methodical manner as we craft works of art for beer drinkers who appreciate refined and interesting flavor in their beer.
Where we are: In the heart of the historic City of Frederick in Maryland, close to the Potomac and Monocacy Rivers, Chesapeake & Ohio Canal, major Civil War battlefield sites and only an hour’s drive from both Baltimore, Maryland and Washington, District of Columbia. With plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities such as hunting, fishing, mountain biking, hiking and scenic rides, Frederick County Maryland is a great place to live and is home to a rich history, agricultural heritage, and vibrant downtown scene.
What we offer: Competitive salary based on experience, along with paid vacation and health care benefits.
- General plant cleanliness
- Full awareness and proper management of the following hazards: trip, slip, fall, cut, crush, strain, pressure, electrical, explosion, heat, confined space, chemical, and material
- Attendance at festivals, beer tastings, and other promotional or special events, as needed
- Forklift operation (training provided, if necessary)
- Equipment maintenance and brewery mechanical requirements
- Thorough completion of records
- Sensory panel participation
- Brewery-wide project involvement (SOP development, plant and operation refinement, production meeting attendance, etc.)
* Inventory Management
- Monitor inventories of malts, hops, CO2, N2, compressed air and O2, cleaning chemicals, packaging materials, and general supplies
- Place orders for inventory items as needed
- Monitor inventory of packaged beer
* Brewhouse and Wort Production
- Brewhouse cleaning, sanitation and general cleanliness
- Raw materials receiving, storage, and handling
- Measure out raw materials according to brewery recipes
- Spent grain disposal (including arranging pickups)
- Tank cleaning and sanitation
- Operate brewhouse equipment for safe and efficient wort production
* Cellar Work
- Cold space cleaning and general cellar cleanliness
- Yeast management and harvesting
- Yeast pitching
- Data collection during fermentations
- Attending to fermentations (i.e. changing temperature setpoints, clearing out cold break and spent yeast, capping, monitoring pressures, dry-hopping, etc.)
- Tank cleaning, sanitation, and CO2 purging of tanks in preparation for beer transfers
- Beer transfers between tanks
* Finished Beer
- Assist in keg, cask, bottle and can filling operations as needed